Dewatering is one way to control water at a mine site. In the mining industry, dewatering is an important thing that needs to be done so that the mining process can run well.
Previously, controlling water at mining sites was basically divided into two types, namely:
- Mine Drainage : Efforts to prevent water from entering or flowing into the work area. Mine drainage is generally carried out to treat groundwater or water originating from surface water sources. For example, various methods of diverting surface water flow ( river diversion , making ditches, and others).
- Mine Dewatering : Is a way to remove water that has entered and is in the mine site. Mine dewatering is done by making a sump (delayed well), a trench system, and a pumping system.
Mine Pump for Dewatering
In the mining industry, mine pumps are indispensable and need to be known. This is because this tool is like a medium that guards the work location so that mining activities can run without obstacles.
Even in today’s era, every coal mining company is highly recommended to use mining pump services. This recommendation is intended so that the work can run effectively, efficiently, and with minimal risk.
Because, apart from dewatering, mine pumps can also be used to provide water to mining areas through river water that is used.
The mine pump itself has a working system with the principle of flowing water that is in a water reservoir or sump to the river so that the water does not interfere with the running of mining operations.
Types of Mining Pumps Dewatering
It should be understood, the water in the sump is water that comes from mining. Even so, this water is also a mixture of rainwater. For water from mining comes from each excavation which eventually releases groundwater.
The water is also collected in sump reservoirs and will later be channeled into the river.
In general, there are two types of mine pumps commonly found at mine sites. Here’s the review:
1. Non Submersible Mine Pumps
The type of non-submersible mine pump is a pump that is on a pontoon or land. This pump has a higher capacity because it can move water from a larger discharge.
Not only that, non-submersible mining pumps can also be driven using two types of power, namely electricity and diesel.
2. Submersible Mine Pump
Submersible mining pumps are the opposite of non-submersible pumps . Miners generally also need this type of pump to carry out dewatering . As the name suggests, this type of pump works by being immersed in water.
The power capacity available by these pumps is generally lower than that of non-submersible pumps . This pump works after excavation of the mine which produces water, then the flow is diverted.
Before draining water with this pump, it is necessary to ensure that the water must have a low PH, ranging from 3 to 5.
3. Electric and Hydraulic Submersible Pump
Submersible mining pump propulsion device , which is a tool with an electric type. For electric and hydraulic submersible pumps , the ends generally require different levels of immersion.
Meanwhile, power packs need a flat and wide space on the ground. Electric submersible pumps can handle large volumes or significant heads , but are limited to handling smaller solids at higher heads .
This type of pump must be installed semi-permanently, moved infrequently, and maintained by a qualified technician or electrician.
In most cases, electric submersible pumps (such as vertical turbines) run at very high speeds. Meanwhile, the required head can be achieved at a speed of approx. 3,600-rpm.
This creates potential wear from pumping slurry water at high speeds, reducing pump life. While the rubber coating on the wear parts may be a solution, it is not a long term solution compared to the hardened wear plates of these pumps.
4. Trash Pumps
Garbage pumps are usually portable and can handle solid water, making them ideal for dewatering applications . This type can also be run on diesel, gasoline, or electricity depending on your needs.
The garbage pump is designed with a deeper impeller vein and a larger discharge opening. This allows it to move liquids containing solids that would normally clog other standard pumps.
The garbage pump can even perform applications at higher speeds.
The main advantages of the sewage pump in dewatering applications are the adjustable speed and higher flow and discharge pressure.
This pump is also easy to use and maintain due to fewer components than other pumps.
Even so, the garbage pump also has its drawbacks, its fuel capacity is limited so it must be monitored and filled more often.
5. End-Suction Pump
This pump is the most common type of centrifugal pump and is widely available in a variety of sizes, materials and constructions to suit various applications.
The end-suction pump has a casing with a suction at one end, discharges from the top. They are placed on the surface with a long suction pipe that needs to be lowered into the water.
In dewatering , these pumps can provide the following advantages:
- It is suitable for transferring large volumes of liquids.
- The simple design means that the pump does not require valves or pistons and moving parts.
- The compactly designed pump takes up relatively little space.
Meanwhile, the following disadvantages may occur when using an end-suction pump :
- Small vacuum leak that prevents the pump from perfect priming . This can cause the pump to continuously draw air from the leak instead of air in the suction line, so the priming cycle never completes.
- Priming time can be affected by the diameter and length of the suction hose or pipe due to the volume of air that needs to be removed. The longer it takes the pump to priming , the more heat is added to the liquid. This will further extend the priming time .
Choosing the Right Mining Pump Dewatering
In order to get a mining pump that fits your needs, it is necessary to choose the right way. Here are things that can be done:
- Dig up as much information as possible
Get to know the various aspects and seek as much information as possible regarding mine pumps to help you make your choice. Today, technology continues to evolve and can make it easier for you to find out without being an expert.
- Choose a service that provides a variety of pumps
Of course, it is important to choose a mining pump rental service provider who is trusted and can provide various options as needed. You can also discuss suggestions from the service provider regarding the pump.